General Diver Safety Tips: so you enjoy Diving..
Courtesy of Ocean Quest Dive Centre
- Balance training and experience - You need both to become a good diver.
Seek training from a good instructor who is willing to assist you to become a better diver.
- Stay within the limits of your training and experience.
- Master buoyancy skills.
- Master propulsion techniques.
- Develop good situational awareness (this happens through training and experience).
- Practice team diving principles.
- Communicate all transition points of dive with your buddy.
- Limit your movements while diving - "The best divers move the least ".
- Avoid overexertion.
- Have a reference during all parts of the dive (descent, ascent and bottom) - Wall, Bottom, Down/Up Line, SMB with Spool, etc.
- Perform slow ascents and extend your safety stops.
- Do not dive deep until you have had proper training and you have mastered buoyancy control and have a reasonable breathing rate.
- Become a Rescue Diver.
- Use good fitting, maintained equipment suitable for local diving.
- Receive training in the use of specialized equipment before using it.
- Get a check up if you have any medical conditions that interfere with safe diving (lungs/heart).